If there is something better than plain old chocolate, it’s having two kinds come together in a cookie recipe. This recipe for Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are perfect to make for young kids and adults alike, because let’s face it, who doesn’t love chocolate and peppermint around the holidays?
Peppermint Hot Chocolate…in Cookie Form!
These Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies we’re inspired by one of my favourite holiday drinks: Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Many coffee shops and cafés serve this drink during the holiday season since it is so warming and comforting! I enjoy the richness and creaminess of the hot chocolate itself, but the peppermint adds a wonderful refreshing flavour to it! I knew that I had to make a cookie based on this popular holiday drink!
These cookies have a traditional chocolate cookie base that is fudgy and tender. However, rather than adding dark, semisweet, or milk chocolate chips to the cookies, I add white chocolate chips. I really enjoy the sweetness from the white chocolate and the pops of white embedded within the chocolate cookie make it look very holiday-appropriate!
Decorating with Crushed Candy Canes
Once the cookies are baked and are still hot from the oven, I add the crushed peppermint candy. I always use crushed candy canes in this recipe but you can use whatever peppermint candy you like. After a few rounds of trial and error, I found that it is best to add the crushed peppermint candy after baking so that the candy doesn’t melt all over the cookie. It still tastes good but it doesn’t look pretty! I simply nestle the peppermint crumbles into the cookies while the cookies are still warm. This way, the candy doesn’t melt and you can make the cookies look picture perfect!
I like to serve these Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies with a nice cold glass of milk. These cookies are perfect for young kids and I hear that they are even good enough for Santa Claus himself! I’m sure if you left these out for Santa this Christmas he would be extra generous!
Get the Recipe!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup candy canes or peppermint candy crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until the mixture is smooth and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Next, add the eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract and beat until combined and smooth.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt on top of the wet mixture and mix everything together to just combine the dough. Near the end of mixing, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a tablespoon to drop out heaps of dough (slightly larger than a golf ball) onto the parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the bottoms are firm and the tops are puffed up.
- While to cookies are still hot, nestle the peppermint candy/candy cane pieces into the cookies. You have to do this while the cookies are still hot so that you can easily insert the candy. If you wait for them to cool, it's much more difficult to insert the candy and you might break the cookie.
- Let the cookies cool for 5-10 minutes and then eat! I love serving these cookies just slightly warm with a glass of milk.