Now that it is dark outside super early, I am finding that I want quick and easy weeknight dinner recipes even more. But as the cold weather moves in, I want something more than meat and potatoes or soup. I want to enjoy something spicy, aromatic and lively during these dull times, and this recipe for Gochujang Chicken Thighs does the trick!
What is Gochujang?
Gochujang is a spicy, savoury and slightly sweet chili paste from Korea. It has s complex flavour, but works well in a wide range of Korean dishes, especially savoury ones.
This paste is extremely thick as it is made from glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and dried red chilies and comes in a paste form. Gochujang can also vary in terms of spice levels, ranging from mild to hot. Since I love spicy foods, I always go for the ‘hot’ spice level for my recipes!
Not sure if you’ve had gochujang before? Well, if you’ve ever had any Korean food (Korean Fried Chicken, Kimchi Jiggae, and even kimchi itself), it is pretty likely that there was Gochujang in it!
Easy Preparation & Assembly
This recipe comes together with a simple marinade. I simply add some gochujang to a large bowl, followed by some warm water and soy sauce to slightly dilute and break apart the paste. Once everything is mixed and you have a smooth consistency, I add lots chopped garlic and the white ends of scallions– this adds amazing bite! Followed up with a sprinkling of sesame oil and ground black pepper, and your marinade is done.
Simply pour this over your chicken thighs (bone-in is best) and let marinate overnight, or at least 30 minutes to get some flavour!
Once the chicken thighs have been marinated, bake them on a wire rack in the oven until they are fully cooked. For a fabulous presentation, sprinkle the scallion greens over the top along with some white sesame seeds! YUM x1000!!!
Korean cuisine is all about the side dishes as much as the main meal, so make sure you have a variety! I like to serve these Gochujang Chicken Thighs with some rice (of course!), along with fresh kimchi, and either cucumbers or steamed greens such as bok choy or gai lan.
I hope that this recipe will lift you out of these dull and dreary winter days we have ahead of us! For the full recipe for my Gochujang Chicken Thighs, scroll down below!
Get the Recipe!
Gochujang Chicken Thighs
- 12 chicken thighs bone in
- 1/3 cup gochujang paste
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 scallions finely chopped, with green ends and white ends separated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- White sesame seeds for garnish
- Begin by making the marinade. In a large bowl add the gochujang, water, and soy sauce. Whisk everything together until combined and smooth. Next add the chopped garlic and the white ends of the scallions followed by the sesame oil and black pepper. Mix everything to combine.
- Add the chicken thighs to the mixing bowl with the marinade and toss to coat. Let the chicken thighs marinade for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Once the chicken thighs have marinated remove them from the bowl and place on a wire baking rack over a parchment lined baking tray. Make sure that the chicken thighs are spaced at least an inch apart so that air circulate around them as they bake.
- Bake the chicken thighs in the oven for 30-35 minutes flipping the chicken thighs over halfway through cooking.
- Once the chicken thighs are fully cooked remove them from the oven and top with sesame seeds and the green ends of the scallions.
- Serve with rice or steamed vegetables and enjoy!