I am back again with another great recipe for my #BackToSchool series. If you are returning to school, or are just trying to get back into your work routine, then these recipes will really help you out! They are quick, simple and can be enjoyed by both adults and children.
For today’s recipe, I have come up with a super simple Garlic Butter Salmon. This salmon filet is baked in a parchment paper package in the oven to keep it juicy and succulent. The addition of a homemade garlic butter makes this recipe extra delicious and adds lots of moisture to the salmon as it cooks.
All Wrapped Up
This Garlic Butter Salmon is very easy to make. Simply combine butter, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl and mix everything until combined. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the salmon filet and wrap everything up in a nice parchment paper package. Once the salmon is all wrapped up, just bake it in the oven for 20 minutes or so! You barely have to do anything once the salmon is in the oven—apart from getting your side dishes ready. I love making rice and some steamed broccoli to go alongside the salmon to keep it nice and healthy (and/or to balance out the butter 😝).
Always Buy from a Local Fish Store
I used my favourite type of salmon in this recipe: sockeye. I love that this type of salmon has a subtle fishy taste and is loaded with lots of great healthy oils—plus I think that this would be good introductory salmon for kids as well! Of course, you can use whatever variety of salmon you like. No matter what, I always recommend buying your salmon from a local fish store to ensure that you are getting the freshest fish possible. As I have mentioned in many posts, my favourite is Finest At Sea here in Victoria, BC. They always have the freshest fish and such knowledgeable and friendly staff!
Get the Recipe!
Garlic Butter Salmon
- 1 large filet of salmon about 1 to 1.5 pounds
- 1/4 cup salted butter softened
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay a large piece of parchment paper on a baking tray. The parchment paper needs to be large enough to wrap the salmon up in a package. Lay the salmon filet on the parchment, skin side down.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the butter, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice until combined. Use a spoon to spread the butter mixture evenly across the top of the salmon.
- Fold the edges of the parchment into the middle, then fold them around each other to seal the parchment package. Fold the ends of the parchment paper in on each end as well.
- Once the salmon is all wrapped up, bake it in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the salmon fillet, but I find that an average fillet cooks in about 18-20 minutes. You can tell that the salmon is done when the filet is completely opaque orange in colour.
- Once cooked, open up the package and sprinkle over the parsley as a garnish. Slice into quarters and serve immediately! Enjoy!