In Italian households, seafood is typically served on Christmas Eve in a celebration known as the Feast of the Seven Fishes. Tons of different seafood is served including shrimp, mollusks, octopus and fin fish. But you don’t need to be Italian to enjoy this meal, nor do you have to eat it on Christmas Eve! My Spicy Mussels in Tomato Sauce is a great recipe that is full of flavour and a spicy kick! It uses Calabrian chilli oil to give the mussels great flavour and a warming spice.￼
Read more about this recipe and check out my YouTube video on how to make it from scratch!￼
Calabrian Chili Paste
Calabrian chili paste is one of my favourite Italian condiments. I basically put it on everything from sandwiches to eggs to meat! It goes really great with antipasto and is a staple in many Italian and Mediterranean households.
It is made from ground Calabrian chilis that are native to southern Italy– and do they ever pack a punch! The Calabrian chilis are ground and mixed with salt, oil, vinegar and garlic to make the most flavourful paste.
Using the Best Local Ingredients
Local Salt Spring Island Mussels are the star of this recipe and are tossed in a spicy tomato and white wine sauce. I always buy my mussels from Finest At Sea since they are always guaranteed to be fresh and flavourful!
Since this recipe has so few ingredients, I use the best ingredients that I can, including San Marzano tomatoes, good quality olive oil from Clemente Olive Oil, and of course fresh basil and parsley.
I also paired this recipe with Quill Off Dry White Wine from Blue Grouse Estate Winery, a local winery here in Vancouver Island. The wine pairs perfectly with the mussels and chilis and is great to serve chilled alongside the Spicy Mussels in Tomato Sauce.
Get the Recipe!
Whether you serve this as a holiday dinner or any night during the week, I guarantee everyone will love this recipe for Spicy Mussels in Tomato Sauce! Get the full recipe down below and watch me make these from scratch in my latest YouTube video!￼
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram (@seasonserveblog) if you make this recipe!
Spicy Mussels in Tomato Sauce
- 3 pounds fresh mussels washed and cleaned
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
- 2-3 tablespoons Italian Calabrian chili pepper paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cup San Marzano tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup San Marzano tomato sauce from can
- 4 basil leaves fresh
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley finely chopped
- Garlic bread for serving on side (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the garlic and shallots. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the shallot begins to turn translucent on the edges.
- Add the chili flakes and the Italian Calabrian chili pepper paste and mix to combine. Cook for 2 minutes to let the flavours come together, stirring often.
- Deglaze the pot with the white wine. Then add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and fresh basil. Cook the tomato sauce for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened up.
- Add the mussels to the pot. Use a spoon to toss the mussels in the tomato sauce to coat them. Cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to medium, and let the mussels cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the parsley to the mussels and toss the mussels again to combine. The mussels are cooked through when the shells have opened and the meat is firm and is an orange colour. If some mussels did not open, discard these as they are dead.
- Add the mussels and the sauce to a serving plate. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve warm with a side of garlic bread and enjoy!