Cauliflower is all the rage these days and can be seen in everything from rice to pasta to pizza. While I love that this vegetable is so versatile and can be transformed into these low-carb options, my favourite way to eat cauliflower is in this Cauliflower Gratin. Topped with Parmesan cheese, panko breadcrumbs, and a bit of butter, this dish is sure to satisfy everyone!
Plus, now that this cruciferous vegetable has now come into season (and will be around until December!), a great way to celebrate it is at Easter dinner! Just look at all those spring vibes!
The Gratin Technique
This is by far, the easiest gratin you will ever make. If you have never heard of a gratin before, it is simply a French culinary technique whereby a dish is topped with breadcrumbs and some type of cheese. The breadcrumbs and cheese become crispy when baked and offer a crunchy texture to the dish. Typically, gratins are made with thinly sliced potatoes that become softened during the baking process. Rather than taking all that time to thinly slice potatoes, I switched them out for healthy, low-carb cauliflower! Simply just cut the florets into bit sized pieces, and that’s basically all the prep work you need to do!
Tips & Tricks
As you know, I test out my recipes at least three times before posting it on my blog. This allows me to ensure that the flavours and cooking techniques and times work out properly. This process allowed me to discover that boiling the cauliflower before baking it really helped lend a soft, moist, and almost creamy texture to the cauliflower as opposed to baking it raw. Plus, it takes a lot less time to cook when the cauliflower is partly cooked! I also discovered that Parmesan cheese and panko go really well together, offering a salty and crunchy bite to the recipe!
So if you are looking for a fabulous side dish to serve this Easter (or for any occasion), try this recipe for Cauliflower Gratin! Enjoy!
Get the full recipe down below!
Get the Recipe!
Easy Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 large head cauliflower chopped into bite-sized florets
- Water for boiling
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly tender. Drain the florets and add them to a 9x9 inch baking dish. Season with ground black pepper and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, grated Parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly across the top of the cauliflower.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs have become golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and garnish with the chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!