May has finally arrived and I could not be happier. We are one month closer to those long summer days, warm weather and relaxing outside with a drink…or two. But for me, I don’t need the long days and warm temperatures to enjoy a drink, even a summery one!
Cinco de Mayo is my excuse to kick patio season off and begin to enjoy my light and fruity cocktails. See you in the fall, negronis! This time of year, you will find me sipping on some delicious margaritas! These classic Mexican cocktails are light and refreshing, and in this case, a bit spicy!
A Classic, but with a Twist
A classic margarita is made with only four ingredients: lime juice, tequila, triple sec, and salt (for the rimmed glass). Mix up all the liquids in a cocktail shaker, pour over ice, and with one sip you will feel like you are sitting on the beach in Mexico!
While this is a delicious cocktail in its own right, I add a bit more flavour with some Jalapeño-Lime Simple syrup! This extra little step takes 10 minutes to make, and is guaranteed to take your margarita to the next level. Simply combine some water, sugar, lime zest and sliced jalapeño and let everything simmer together in a pot until a nice thick syrup forms. This not only will add spice to your drink, but a slight tinge of sweetness as well–perfect for balancing out all that sour lime and spicy jalapeño!
Apart from this spicy variation, I also like to add some orange juice to my margaritas. I know, it’s not traditional, but the sweet orange juice really cuts through the acidity of the lime, making these super easy to drink 😛 Also, it compliments the Triple Sec (an orange liqueur from France) perfectly!
If you a celebrating Cinco De Mayo, or are just looking for an excuse to kick off patio season a bit early, be sure to make these Spicy Jalapeño Margaritas!
For the full recipe for my Spicy Jalapeño Margaritas, keep scrolling below!
Get the Recipe!
Spicy Jalapeño Margarita
For the Jalapeño-Lime Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- Zest from 1 lime
- 6 slices jalapeño pepper
For the Rim:
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
For the Margarita:
- 2 oz. lime juice
- 1/2 oz. orange juice
- 2 oz. tequila preferable blanc/white
- 1 oz. Triple Sec
- 1/2 oz. Jalapeño-Lime Simple Syrup
- Sliced jalapeños and lime for garnish
- Begin by making the simple syrup. Place a small pot over high heat and add the water and sugar. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat and add the lime zest and sliced jalapeños. Let the mixture simmer on the stove for 10-12 minutes, or until the volume has reduced by half. Set aside and let it cool completely.
- Next, prepare the ingredients for the rim. Add the salt, sugar and lime zest to a small bowl. Mix thoroughly to coat all the lime zest in the salt and sugar. Set aside.
- Next, juice the limes and orange. Place the juice into a Pyrex pitcher, or any glass with a spout. This will make it easy to pour.
- Now to prepare the drink. Take a lime wedge and rub it along the rim of the glass. Dip the rim into the salt/sugar mixture to full coat. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the tequila, triple sec, simple syrup, lime juice and orange juice. Place the lid on the cocktail shaker and shake for 60 seconds. Pour the cocktail into the glass with ice and garnish with an extra lime wedge and a few sliced jalapeños.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!