My homemade Blueberry Coffee Cake is the perfect way to kick off blueberry season. This coffee cake has a dense, yet tender cake base and is layered with fresh blueberries and a sweet and crumbly streusel topping. Enjoy this recipe for breakfast, brunch or even dessert this summer while blueberries are fresh and delicious!
The Perfect Cake that is Not Too Sweet
This homemade Blueberry Coffee Cake is a simple recipe to make during the summer months when blueberries are in season. The sweet blueberries burst with freshness in every bite, creating a delightful contrast against the soft cake. The crumbly streusel topping, made with a combination of flour, sugar, and butter, adds a satisfying crunch that adds a layer of extra sweetness, without being overly sweet. This recipe was designed to really show off the flavours of the blueberries and not have too much refined sugar!
Share the Love…And the Blueberries!
This Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe makes a large 8″ cake and is a treat that is meant to be shared. Whether you invite friends and family over for a brunch gathering or surprise a neighbour with a freshly baked slice, this delightful Blueberry Coffee Cake will definitely be enjoyed by everyone!
Get the Recipe!
Follow along as I cook this Blueberry Coffee Cake from scratch on YouTube! I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Blueberry Coffee Cake
For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8-inch spring form pan with butter. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl along with the sugar. Use a hand or stand mixer to cream the butter and white sugar on high speed for 1 minute until fluffy. Add the egg and beat to combine. Add the vanilla and lemon zest and mix to combine again.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix to just combine. Then add the Greek yogurt and milk to the batter and mix again until just combined. Finally, add the remaining 1 cup of flour and mix again until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased spring-form pan and use a spatula to level the batter in one even layer. Sprinkle the blueberries evenly over the top of the cake and press them slightly into the cake batter.
- Make the streusel topping by combining the brown sugar, flour, and butter together is a small bowl and mixing until the streusel resembles the texture of wet sand. Sprinkle this mixture evenly across the top of the blueberries.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Once the cake is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 30 minutes before unmoulding and serving. Enjoy!