This California Orange & Chicken Salad is a healthy and flavourful recipe to kick start the new year. Grilled chicken is placed on a bed of local greens, California avocados, and orange segments before being topped with a delicious citrus dressing. Enjoy this recipe while oranges are in season!
Read on to see how to make this tasty salad recipe! Recipe in collaboration with Red Barn Market.
Celebrate Citrus Season
Citrus is in season right now and I can’t get enough of it! I’ve been eating tons of oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits and experimenting with citrus recipes. They are incredibly sweet, juicy and flavourful when they are in season and really elevate any recipe that you make. But my favourite recipe that I have come up with so far is this delicious California Orange & Chicken Salad.
Navel oranges are used in this recipe and they add incredible brightness and freshness to the salad. I use both the orange flesh (as supremes) in the salad, and I also use the orange juice in the Citrus dressing.
Adding a Few Southern California Ingredients
What makes this a California style salad is the addition of a few southern California ingredients (other than oranges). I added some fresh sliced jalapeños for a bit of a kick, creamy avocados, and fresh cilantro. To compliment all these flavours, I added ground cumin on the chicken as well as in the Citrus dressing. This combination of ingredients is so good and really makes you feel like you are in sunny California!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe this winter! Be sure to tag me on Instagram @seasonserveblog to share you photos!
Get the Recipe!
California Orange & Chicken Salad
For the Grilled Chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts , sliced in half to become thinner (4 thin breasts total)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
For the Salad:
- 1 small head green leaf lettuce washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 avocados cubed
- 2 navel oranges cut into segments/supremed (see Recipe Notes)
- ½ English cucumber cubed
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
For the Citrus Dressing:
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Begin by marinating the chicken. Add the chicken breasts to a bowl along with the cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Toss everything to combine and set aside to marinade.
- Prepare the salad by layering the lettuce on the bottom of a large salad bowl, and top with the avocados, orange supremes, cucumber, jalapeno and red onion.
- Next make the dressing by combining the orange juice, lime juice, chopped cilantro, honey, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil as you whisk the dressing ingredients to combine and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron grill (or large frying pan) over high heat. Once hot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the grill followed by the chicken breasts. Reduce the heat to medium-high and grill for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and fully cooked.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes to cool slightly and to keep the chicken juicy. Once rested, slice the chicken breasts into 1 to 2-cm thick strips and arrange on top of the salad.
- Top the salad with the cilantro leaves and then drizzle the citrus vinaigrette over the entire salad. Serve immediately.
3 thoughts on “California Orange & Chicken Salad”
Definitely a salad that uplifts the spirits on a gray day! 🙂
Love the addition of cumin and honey in the citrus dressing!
Yes, they are total game changers for the dressing! I’m glad that you enjoyed my recipe!