Patty pan squash are a delicious summer treat that are only available for a short time. So pick up a bunch from your local grocery store or garden and make my recipe for Ricotta-Stuffed Patty Pan Squash.
An Italian-Inspired Summer Recipe
I decided to put an Italian spin on this recipe by stuffing the squash with some of the best Italian ingredients.
Ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese come together in a delicious filling. This filling is lightened up with lemon zest and fresh basil makes the filling truly heavenly!
Baking these Ricotta-Stuffed Patty Pan Squash in a tomato sauce really imparts great flavour and creates a delicious sauce that pairs perfectly with the ricotta filling!
These Ricotta-Stuffed Patty Pan Squash are definitely a must-make while they are in season this summer!
Growing Patty Pan Squash
I am growing patty pan squash in my garden this year and they have been so productive! So far we have harvested about 15 pounds of it and we have plenty more on the way!
If you have any special ways you like to use patty pan squash, let me know in the comments below!
Get the Recipe!
Ricotta-Stuffed Patty Pan Squash
- 12 patty pan squash
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup basil leaves finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups tomato sauce homemade or jarred
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- To prepare the patty pan squash, cut a small slice off the bottom of each squash so that it sits flat. Remove the top of the squash and use a melon-baller or small spoon to scoop out the interior flesh of the squash. Make sure to not puncture through the sides or bottom of the patty pan squash. Repeat for all the squash and set aside.
- Next make the ricotta filling. Add the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest, basil leaves, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of the ricotta filling into each of the hollowed out patty pan squash. Set aside for now.
- In a large 9x12 inch baking dish, add 2 cups of tomato sauce to the bottom of the dish, spreading it out into an even layer. Add the stuffed patty pan squash to the baking dish, evenly spacing them out. Add the remaining tomato sauce so that it comes 1/3 of the way up the patty pan squash.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes. The patty pan squash will be done when you can insert a fork into the squash and it goes in smoothly.
- To serve, place the squash on a plate with some tomato sauce. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!