I know that breakfast can vary throughout the week–from a quick bowl of granola or a smoothie on a weekday to an elegant spread of pancakes or perhaps some smoked salmon bagels on the weekend. There’s a lot of in between!
One great breakfast dish that is suitable for either a weekday or a weekend is this recipe for Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger and Honey. It has a beautiful presentation and it can be made in just a few minutes, which is perfect for those busy weekday mornings!
Seasonal and local ingredients
As with most of my recipes, I like to focus on seasonal and local ingredients. While we unfortunately cannot grow grapefruits here, I opted to use them since they are in season right now. Actually, they are close to being out of season, which means spring is coming!!! I used the ruby red variety for the beautiful bright pink colour and it’s wonderful sweetness...or as sweet as a grapefruit can get 😛
I also used regular old ginger in the recipe since it really compliments the grapefruit as it is spicy and fresh. This unfortunately wasn’t local either, but it’s a great spice to consume during the winter months since it’s warming and helps to prevent colds!
The one local ingredient that I did use in this recipe is Babe’s Honey Farm Maple Blossom Honey! Although this is a very fall-like honey, the slight maple flavour is perfect for breakfast in my opinion! If you can’t get a hold of this particular honey, I would recommend use some local clover honey. This honey is light and fresh and perfect for this recipe too!
Quick and simple preparation
After slicing the grapefruit in half across the middle, spread a bit of ginger on top of the grapefruit. I use about one tablespoon per grapefruit half since I really love ginger, but you can use as much or as little as you like. Finally, spread a bit of local honey over the top of the grapefruit and ginger. This adds a lot of sweetness to balance out the sour grapefruit and spicy ginger plus when it’s broiled it gets golden in colour and caramelizes just a touch!
After 5 minutes under the broiler, you will have a delicious and nutritious breakfast! This Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger and Honey is refreshing and light and a great way to get prepared for the springtime!
What’s your favourite breakfast recipe?
I’m always looking for new breakfast recipes and would like to know what some of your favourites are! Post your favourite breakfast recipe in the comments below!
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this recipe! Scroll down below to get the full recipe!
Get the Recipe!
Broiled Grapefruit with Ginger & Honey
- 1 grapefruit I used Ruby Red
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Set the oven to broil and place your oven rack near the top of the oven.
- Slice the grapefruit across the middle so that the segments are exposed. Proceed to segment the fruit by cutting between the membranes and along the rind, as you would normally eat a grapefruit. Do not scoop out the segments yet.
- Sprinkle the grated ginger on top (cut side up) of the segmented grapefruit and then cover the ginger with a layer of honey. I find that a 1 tablespoon amount on each half of the grapefruit is perfect.
- Place the grapefruit in an oven proof dish, cut side up, and broil for 5-7 minutes or until the honey is bubbling and the grapefruit is warm.
- Serve warm either alone or with yogurt and granola. Enjoy!