Jazz up your everyday salads with the delicious and seasonal salad recipe featuring BC Blueberries! This salad dressing is just as impressive as the salad itself as it features the sweet and spicy flavours of Salt Spring Island Kitchen Co.’s Raspberry Habanero Jam.
Servings: 4 main servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Grilled Chicken and Salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup goats cheese, crumbled in small pieces
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced thinly into rounds
For the Salad Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons Salt Spring Island Kitchen Co.Raspberry Habanero Jam (you can substitute with plain raspberry jam too)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cold water
Begin by grilling the chicken breasts. Preheat a griddle pan or a frying pan over high heat. Season the chicken breasts evenly with salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Once the chicken is cooked, set is aside and let it cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the salad. Chop the lettuce and add it to the bowl. Add the chopped red onions, the crumbled goats cheese, the blueberries, the almonds and the jalapeno peppers to the top of the salad. Place this in the fridge to keep cool while making the dressing.
In a small bowl, add the jam, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to mix everything together until completely smooth. Add the water to the dressing if it looks like it is too thick- you should be able to drizzle this easily all over the salad.
Now that the chicken is cooled off, cut the chicken breasts into cubes (or slice it if you prefer) and add it to the salad. Drizzle over the salad dressing and serve immediately.