Update your traditional papas con chorizo recipe to make it perfect for breakfast or brunch! My Papas Con Chorizo Breakfast Hash is made with roasted Yukon gold potatoes and locally made Red Barn Market Turkey Chorizo sausage. The addition of a few key spices and a fried egg really help to spice up your morning any day of the week!
This recipe was created in collaboration with Red Barn Market.
Potato Hash is a Brunch Favourite
One of my favourite brunch recipes is a delicious potato hash. You get a bit of everything in there- roasted potatoes, vegetables, meat (such as sausage or bacon) and an oozing fried egg on top. What’s not to love? This meal will definitely get you fuelled up for a big day, and may even take away that hangover you are nursing!
A Twist on a Famous Mexican Recipe
My Papas Con Chorizo Breakfast Hash is a breakfast-inspired twist on a traditional Mexican recipe, papas con chorizo. Traditionally, papas con chorizo is made with potatoes and chorizo that are cooked together to allow all of their delicious flavours come together. This can be eaten on its own or can be used in a filling for tacos or burritos.
I decided to make my Papas Con Chorizo Breakfast Hash using locally made Turkey Chorizo Sausage from Red Barn Market. While it may not be made with pork (as traditional chorizo is made with), it has a lot of similar spices used in the recipe including Spanish paprika and cayenne pepper. I like to add a bit of my own spices to bring the spice flavour (and heat!) to my liking, and let me tell you, it’s just as good as the traditional pork chorizo!
A Few Steps to a Yummy Brunch
I begin by chopping up Yukon gold potatoes into small hashbrowns and then I bake them in the oven until golden brown. While the potatoes are baking, I cook the Turkey Chorizo Sausage with some sweet paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Once the hashbrowns are fully cooked, they are simply tossed with the chorizo mixture and plated before being topped with a fried egg, and some sliced jalapeños and cilantro for garnish.
I hope that you enjoy this simple and spicy Papas Con Chorizo Breakfast Hash for breakfast or brunch!
Get the Recipe!
Papas Con Chorizo Breakfast Hash
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes unpeeled, cut into 1-cm cubes
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 Red Barn Market Turkey Chorizo sausages
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 jalapeño pepper sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the cubed potatoes onto the baking tray. Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to the potatoes along with the salt and black pepper. Toss to fully coat the potatoes in the oil and seasoning, then lay the potatoes out into a single layer on the baking tray, ensuring that they do not touch. Bake the potatoes for 40 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the chorizo. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the pan.
- Remove the casings from the chorizo sausage and discard.
- Add the chorizo into the pan, breaking up the chorizo into small pieces. Add the sweet paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika to the chorizo as it cooks, tossing to coat all the chorizo in the spices. Fry for 2-3 minutes to toast the spices, then add in the water. Cook, uncovered, for another 4-5 minutes, or until the chorizo is a light golden brown and fully cooked. Once cooked, remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are golden brown and tender, remove them from the oven and add them into the frying pan with the chorizo. Toss everything to combine.
- Divide the hash evenly on four plates. Top each plate with a fried egg, sliced jalapeño pepper, and cilantro for garnish. Serve immediately and enjoy!