Today, I am back with another #AppyHolidays recipe! This weeks recipe is very special and definitely over the top: Fried Brie with Sundried Tomato Pesto. Creamy brie cheese is coated in a crispy and crunchy panko breading and is fried to perfection. If that wasn’t delicious enough, I top it with a sweet and tangy sundried tomato pesto.
It’s a little bit naughty and is best enjoyed in moderation, but it’s so delicious and makes a great holiday treat!
Learn how to make the full recipe down below!
Crispy Fried Brie with a Creamy Centre
Fried cheese is incredibly tasty and a fun treat when eaten in moderation. In this recipe, I used a local brie cheese called Comox Brie from Natural Pastures Cheese Company. It’s my go-to brie for any recipe since it is so creamy and has a mild brie flavour.
To fry the brie, I coated it in egg and panko breadcrumbs. I love using panko breadcrumbs in this recipe because it creates a great crust that stays nice and crispy when fried in vegetable oil. A double breading also helps to create a delicious crust and prevents the brie cheese from leaking.
Homemade Sundried Tomato Pesto
If the fried brie wasn’t enough on its own, this Sundried Tomato Pesto really puts this appetizer over the top!
Made with sundried tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley, honey, pine nuts and olive oil, this pesto comes together in mere minutes and goes great with the brie. It’s very refreshing as it is slightly sweet and salty, which compliments the fried brie so well.
Be sure to make some extra pesto because it goes great on its own with crackers and in pasta!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe for Fried Brie with Sundried Tomato Pesto! It’s definitely a treat but is a fun and festive recipe to make to celebrate the holidays!
Get the full recipe down below. Enjoy!
Get the Recipe!
Fried Brie with Sundried Tomato Pesto
For the Fried Brie:
- 1 wheel brie cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
For the Sundried Tomato Pesto:
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 6 basil leaves fresh
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- First make the brie. Beat the egg in a bowl until smooth. Dip all sides of the brie into the egg mixture, then coat with panko breadcrumbs. Repeat this process to create a double breading layer. Gently press the breadcrumbs onto the brie to fully coat. Place the breaded brie onto a plate and refrigerate for 1 hour to let the brie and breading firm up.
- In the meantime, make the sundried tomato pesto. Add the sundried tomatoes, garlic, parsley, basil, honey, pine nuts, black pepper and salt into a food processor and pulse to chop all the ingredients. Add the olive oil through the top spout of the food processor while mixing to bring the pesto together. Once the pesto has come together, place in a bowl and set aside for later.
- To fry the brie, add the vegetable oil to a frying pan and heat to 350 degrees F. Gently place the brie into the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Use a pair of tongs to flip the brie over making sure to also fry the sides of the brie as well.
- Once crisp, carefully transfer to a paper towel to let the oil drain away. Then transfer to a serving plate and top with the sundried tomato pesto. Serve immediately with a side of your favourite crackers and enjoy!