My Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake is a great recipe to serve this holiday season! It has wonderful sweet and sour flavours and is so light and fluffy!
Serve this Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake for a holiday breakfast or brunch, as an afternoon snack with tea, or as a holiday dessert! Your family and friends are guaranteed to love it!
Celebrating Delicious Winter Flavours
Cranberry and orange are both wonderful holiday and winter flavours. Cranberries are currently in season here in BC and we can get fresh locally grown cranberries in stores.
Oranges are also a traditional wintertime fruit and are on the brink of coming into season. Although the majority of oranges are imported, there are so many different varieties that all taste amazing! My favourite variety to use in this recipe is Cara Cara oranges since they are on the sweeter side and really balance out the sour cranberries.
The Secret to Fluffy Coffee Cake
My secret ingredient in my Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake is… Greek yogurt! The yogurt really makes the cake nice and moist as it bakes in the oven. It also causes a chemical reaction with the baking soda and baking powder as you mix the batter.
If you don’t have Greek yogurt on hand, you can also substitute it with sour cream or regular unflavoured yogurt.
Get the Recipe!
Get the full recipe for my Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake down below! You can also watch me make this cake from scratch on my YouTube channel! Don’t forget to like and subscribe to my channel!
Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 cups fresh cranberries or frozen
For the Crumble Topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
For the Icing:
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease an 8-inch spring form pan with butter. Set aside.
- Using a hand blender or stand mixer, cream the butter and white sugar on high speed for 1 minute until fluffy. Add the egg and beat to combine. Add the vanilla and mix to combine again. Set aside.
- Add half of the flour (1 cup) to the bowl, along with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Mix until the batter just comes together.
- Add the orange zest, Greek yogurt and milk to the batter and mix again until just combined.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of cranberries to the batter and mix again until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased spring-form pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cranberries on the top of the cake, making sure to get them evenly distributed. Press them slightly into the cake batter.
- In a separate bowl, use your hands to crumble the brown sugar, flour and butter together until the flour is fully combined. Sprinkle this mixture evenly across the top of the cranberries and cake.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Once the cake is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk the milk and icing sugar together until smooth. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze on top of the cooled cake in whatever pattern you like.
- Serve and enjoy!