Ginger Molasses cookies are the perfect cookie for the winter months. They’re soft, chewy, spicy and sweet and go great with a cup of milk or tea. They go even better as the fourth recipe that is part of my #12DaysOfChristmas series on my blog!
Sweet & Sparkly Cookies
These Ginger Molasses Cookies are inspired by the infamous Ginger Molasses cookies at Starbucks. It’s pretty basic, I know, but I love the chewy texture of these cookies…it’s almost comforting! I also adore the sparkle that these cookies have from being rolled around in granulated sugar before they are baked. That extra little glisten makes these cookies extra festive during the holiday season.
3 Types of Ginger
This recipe for Ginger Molasses Cookies is special in that it uses three types/forms of ginger: ground, fresh and crystallized. Each form of ginger gives different textures or qualities to these cookies. The ground ginger gives it a subtle spice, the fresh ginger gives it some bite, and the crystallized ginger adds sweetness and chewiness within the cookie. I think that these three types of ginger really make these cookies stand out…and dare I say even better than Starbucks?!
Clove Oil for Extra Holiday Flavour
I also added another special ingredient to these cookies, and that is a clove essential oil. This recipe was done in collaboration with my friend Liisa, who sells doTERRA essential oils. These essential oils are food-grade and can be safely ingested. Not only does the addition of these oils impart a lovely flavour to the cookies, but there are health benefits as well! You don’t need to have this essential oil to make these cookies as you can just substitute it with ground clove. If you are using essential oils though, ensure that you are using a food-grade oil if you want to cook with essential oils.
And there you have it… my fourth recipe in my #12DaysOfChristmas series. Have a wonderful holiday season and I will see you tomorrow with my fifth cookie recipe!
If you would like more holiday cookie recipes, follow along with my #12DaysOfChristmas series on my blog! I will be posting a holiday cookie recipe daily up until Christmas Day!
Get the Recipe!
Ginger Molasses Cookies
- ¾ cup salted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar lightly packed
- ¼ cup fancy molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove or 2-3 drops DoTERRA Clove Bud essential oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- ½ cup crystallized ginger minced
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ cup white sugar for rolling
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the molasses, egg, fresh ginger and crystallized ginger and mix to combine. Add the clove essential oil here if you are using it, if not, ass the ground clove in the next step.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, ground clove, ground ginger, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until it is well combined. Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour until it is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll the cookies in the white sugar to coat. Place the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom. Enjoy!