I didn’t forget about my Gluten-Free friends during the #12DaysOfChristmas! I have made this delicious and not-too-sweet cookie recipe using almond flour and whole almonds.
A Gluten-Free Holiday Cookie
These Gluten-Free Almond Thumbprint Cookies are inspired by may grandma’s almond cookie that she makes every Christmas. While hers are made with ground almonds, marzipan and flour, I am keeping my recipe 100% gluten-free. These cookies are much lighter but pack a ton of almond flavour just like my grandma’s recipe.
A Crumbly Texture from Almond Flour
In this recipe, I use ground almond flour, almond extract and whole almonds to give these cookies lots of flavour and texture. The ground almond flour makes the cookie crumble nicely and have a bit of a bite while the almond extract adds a deep almond flavour. The whole almond on top of the cookie adds lots of crunch and texture. These cookies have everything you are looking for!
Get the Recipe!
Gluten-Free Almond Thumbprint Cookies
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup whole almonds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, egg, coconut oil, almond extract and vanilla extract until combined. Add the almond flour, cornstarch and baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Roll the dough into balls that are approximately 1 inch in diameter and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Continue to roll the balls out until all the dough is used up.
- Use your thumb to make an indentation into each of the balls of dough. You should press halfway through the cookie. Place one almond in the center of each indentation.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown. The cookies will be fragile when they come out of the oven. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Serve with a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy!