Cozy up this autumn and winter season with a bowl of smoky, spicy and nutritious Chorizo & Potato Soup. Fresh chorizo is cooked with potatoes, red bell peppers, jalapeños, onions, and smoked paprika. A final addition of kale and a splash of cream makes this soup hearty and delicious.
Spanish Flavours in a Hearty Chorizo & Potato Soup
This Chorizo & Potato Soup is inspired by Spanish flavours and ingredients. Fresh chorizo sausage is a flavour-packed pork sausage from Spain that is seasoned with paprika and garlic. The flavours of chroizo may vary depending on the type of paprika (or pimentón) and spices that are used, but overall this sausage is smoky and delicious.
To enhance the flavours of this Chorizo & Potato Soup, I also add additional smoked pimentón (smoked paprika). This paprika is make with red peppers that have been smoked and dried, then milled into a fine powder. This extra paprika adds additional smoky flavour that makes the soup extra savoury.
And what Spanish recipe would be complete without peppers? I use red bell peppers to add sweetness and bulkiness to this soup, and jalapeño peppers. I like a bit of spice and bite, so I avoid removing the jalapeño seeds and membrane. Feel free to adjust this according to your spice preferences!
A Nutrient Boost for the Winter Months
This Chorizo & Potato Soup is surprisingly nutritious with the combination of vegetables that are included in this recipe. Red peppers, jalapeños, onions, and potatoes have lots of vitamin C, and kale and garlic has lots of vitamin K. Both of these vitamins are great for overall health, and are very important during the late fall and winter months to help prevent seasonal illnesses. Plus, cooking all of these ingredients in a homemade chicken stock really adds that extra nutritious boost!
Get the Recipe!
Chorizo & Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 fresh chorizo sausages cut into 1-cm thick rounds
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 red bell peppers chopped into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups green kale chopped
- ½ cup whipping cream 35%
- ¼ cup Italian parsley chopped, for garnish
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and the sausage. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring often to brown on all sides. Once browned, remove the sausage from the pot and set aside for now.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the chorizo fat and olive oil from the pan. Heat over medium-high heat and add the onion, red bell pepper, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are just beginning to soften. Add the jalapeno pepper, garlic, smoked paprika, dried oregano, and tomato paste. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the potatoes to the pot along with the par-cooked chorizo sausage and chicken stock. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil over high heat, then reduce, cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the kale and whipping cream. Stir to combine and let stand for 2 minutes to allow the kale to heat through and soften.
- Scoop into bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!