Currywurst is a must try when you go to Germany, and now you can make this traditional German recipe at home! My homemade curry ketchup is sweet and spicy with tons of authentic flavour!
This Red Barn Currywurst recipe is a must-make this September in celebration for Oktoberfest!
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Red Barn Market.
A Delicious German Street Food
Currywurst is a simple, but delicious dish and is great as a meal or even a snack. Crispy french fires are topped with a pan-fried sausage and is smothered in a sweet and spicy curry ketchup. This recipe is savoury and so satisfying, especially during the cooler fall months!
In this recipe, I used Farmers Sausage from Red Barn Market, but you can use just about any type of sausage you want. Whether it’s traditional Oktoberfest sausage, turkey sausage, or even a veggie sausage, they will all pair up perfectly with the fries and ketchup. A little sprinkle of salt and curry powder at the end add extra flavour, and a sprinkle of chopped parsley add freshness to this otherwise heavy dish.
How to Make Curry Ketchup
Curry ketchup is basically a spicy ketchup made with aromatics including onions, garlic and curry powder. These all add incredible depth and a mild spicy flavour to the ketchup which really helps to cut through the richness of the sausage and fries.
I sweat out onion and garlic in a pot then add in regular ketchup (you can also add pureed tomatoes…but adding pre-made ketchup is the perfect shortcut!). Apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce also help to round out all the flavours of the curry ketchup and makes it a bit sweet and tangy. Once all the ingredients simmer together, I puree the ketchup to make it smooth and easily dippable.
This recipe makes quite a bit of curry ketchup, but trust me, you will be happy you have extra! It goes great on eggs, burgers and just about anything else you make!
Get the Recipe!
Red Barn Currywurst
For the Curried Ketchup:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
For the Sausage & Fries:
- 2 Red Barn Markets Farmers Sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 package frozen French fries 650 g
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley finely chopped
To Make the Curry Ketchup:
- Heat a small pot over medium-high heat. Once hot add the olive oil and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until the onion becomes soft and translucent (but not brown). Once the onion is translucent, add the garlic to the pot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the curry powder. Mix the curry powder with the onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes to toast the curry powder.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot and mix everything to combine.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let simmer for 2-3 minutes until the ketchup is bubbling. Once the ketchup bubbles, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes to let all the flavours come together. Stir often to ensure the ketchup doesn’t scorch on the bottom of the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the ketchup until it is totally smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, simply transfer to a regular blender to puree. Set the curry ketchup aside until ready to serve.
To Make the Sausage & Fries:
- Place the French fries in the oven and cook according to the package directions.
- While the fries are cooking, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil to the pan followed by the Farmers sausage. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Next, reduce the heat to medium, add the water to the pan, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes until the sausage is warmed through. Once warmed, remove from the heat and slice the sausage into ½ inch thick pieces.
- Once the fries are cooked, sprinkle with the salt and chopped parsley.
- To serve, place the fries on a plate and top with the sliced sausage, a drizzle of curried ketchup, and a light dusting of curry powder for garnish. Serve immediately and enjoy!