If you’re fed up with all snow and the cold weather we have been having lately, a cup of Homemade Hot Chocolate is just what you need.
Rather than buying a pre-made hot chocolate mix that is full of preservatives and unnecessary ingredients, I encourage you to make your own. Not only is it super easy, you likely have all the ingredients in your pantry!
Pantry Staples & Fancy Additions
Simply combine some unsweetened cocoa powder, granulated white sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a pot of warm milk and you will have a rich and creamy hot chocolate in under 10 minutes! You can use whatever milk you like, but my favourite is 2% milk from our local BC dairy farmers!
While this is a basic recipe, you can also go all out and add whatever toppings you like. I like to keep it pretty simple with whipped cream and maybe a sprinkle of chocolate chips. But if you want to take it up a notch you can add chocolate shavings, a cinnamon stick, caramel sauce, a scoop of Nutella (to die for!), or a splash of peppermint extract! The possibilities are endless!
So if you are looking for a delicious and tasty way to warm up, make yourself a cup of Homemade Hot Chocolate. Or if you want to show someone a bit of love, this recipe is also perfect for Valentines Day!
Get the recipe down below! Enjoy and stay warm!
Get the Recipe!
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups milk 2%
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Chocolate chips for garnish (optional)
- Place the milk in a small pot. Gently heat the milk over medium heat on the stove. Use a whisk to stir the milk every 40 seconds or so to ensure that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pot. Do not let the milk boil.
- Once warmed through, add the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt. Whisk everything together to combine.
- Carefully pour the hot chocolate into mugs and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate chips if you desire. Enjoy!