When you think of Thanksgiving vegetables, kale might not be the one that comes to mind. However I think it is totally perfect to use kale in your Thanksgiving dinner menu because it isn’t season and there are so many great recipes you can make with it!
This year I decided to make a simple Sautéed Kale with Apple and Bacon. This recipe is sweet smoky and tangy thanks to a delicious maple dressing that I make to go along with it. The dressing is made with a combination of maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil. It’s super simple but when added to this dish it makes it taste so gourmet!￼
To cook this recipe, I simply fry off the bacon until crisp and then add in some sliced apples. Toss in some fresh kale and the maple dressing, and you are on your way to a delicious Thanksgiving side dish!
Get the Recipe!
Sautéed Kale with Apple & Bacon
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 cup Honeycrisp apple thinly sliced
- 2 bunches kale stems removed, leaves chopped into 2-inch pieces (~8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the bacon strips to the pan. Fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes per side, until crisp. Remove the bacon strips from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Leave 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan and add the apple slices. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes over high heat until the apple slices have begun to turn soft and slightly golden.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the kale leaves. Toss to mix the apple slices and kale together. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the kale has softened and is dark green in colour.
- While the kale is cooking, make the dressing. Add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and black pepper to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Slice the bacon into small bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Add ½ of the dressing to the kale and apple slices right before the end of cooking and mix to combine.
- Remove the kale and apples from the pan and place in a serving bowl. Top with the sliced bacon and the remaining dressing. Serve immediately and enjoy!