Garden Tomato Soup
My Garden Tomato Soup recipe is fall in a bowl! I use fresh summer tomatoes and a few other simple ingredients to make the most comforting tomato soup! Don't forget the grilled cheese!
- 3 pounds tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic whole in skins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes (canned or jarred)
- 1 cup water
- 6 basil leaves whole
- 1 Parmesan rind or 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the stems and core from the tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes in half and place flat-side-down on a parchment-lined baking tray. If using cherry tomatoes, add the tomatoes whole to the baking tray.
- Add the red bell pepper and garlic to the baking tray, followed by the olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss everything to combine and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the skins of the tomatoes and peppers have charred and can easily be peeled away. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes and peppers are cool to the touch, remove the skins from them and discard. Add the flesh of the tomatoes, peppers and garlic to a large pot. Make sure to add any juice from the tomatoes that is left on the pan to the pot.
- Place the pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the pureed tomatoes and water and use a stick blender to blend the soup until it is completely smooth. You can also add the soup to a blender instead.
- Once smooth, add the Parmesan rind (or Parmesan cheese) and basil leaves. Bring the pot to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve to soup while it is hot with a drizzle of half-and-half, if desired. Don't forget to serve with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side for dipping!
This is a great meal prep recipe and can be made in a large batch and frozen in individual servings. Simply thaw and reheat whenever you have a Garden Tomato Soup craving!