Homestyle Apple Pie
Homestyle Apple Pie is the ONLY apple pie recipe that you will ever need! Delicious honeycrisp apples are baked with brown sugar and spices inside my flaky Homestyle Pie Dough. The filling is cooked before baking to ensure that the filling is thick and keeps your pie flaky and crispy!
- 1 recipe Homestyle Pie Dough https://seasonandserveblog.com/dessert/homestyle-pie-dough/
For the Apple Filling:
- 3 pounds Honeycrisp apples peeled and cut into 1-cm slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for dusting pie dough and utensils
For the Egg Wash & Topping:
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk 2%
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
For the Pie Dough & Filling (The Day Before):
- Begin by preparing my recipe for Homestyle Pie Dough: https://seasonandserveblog.com/dessert/homestyle-pie-dough/. Let the dough sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Next, make the apple pie filling. Add the sliced apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the butter followed by the apple filling. Saute the apple filling for 10-12 minutes over medium heat, until the apples have softened and are releasing their juices.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Pour it over the apple filling and mix to combine. Increase the heat to high to activate the cornstarch and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and store in the refrigerator overnight.
To Assemble & Bake the Pie (The Day Of):
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the pie dough and apple filling 20 minutes before making your pie.
- Flour your work surface, pie dough, and rolling pin with a bit of the all-purpose flour. Roll one disc of pie dough out to 1/2-cm thick. Carefully roll the dough up onto the rolling pin and place in a 8-inch pie dish.
- Drain the liquid away from the apple filling and discard. Place the drained apples into the pie dish and smooth out into one layer.
- Roll out the second disc of dough to the same thickness of 1/2-cm. Use more all-purpose flour as needed to ensure the dough does not stick to anything. At this point, use cookie cutters to create cut outs for your design if desired.
- Place the dough on top of the pie and trim the excess dough with a paring knife.
- Fold the dough underneath itself along the edges to create a thick crust and crimp the edge as desired. Decorate as desired.
- Mix the milk and egg together to create an egg wash and brush it over the top of the pie to coat. Sprinkle evenly with the granulated white sugar.
- Place the pie on top of a baking tray and set the pie in the centre of the oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. The baking tray will allow the bottom of the pie to stay crispy. You will know the pie is done when the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!