Recipe developed in collaboration with Red Barn Markets.
Smokey Chorizo Soup
For the Soup:
- 4 large field tomatoes whole
- 1 jalapeno pepper stem removed
- ½ yellow onion peeled
- 4 medium red bell peppers (3 halved, seeds and stem removed; 1 diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo whole
- ¼ cup cilantro fresh
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Red Barn Smoked Chorizo Sausage sliced into half-moon rounds
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels defrosted
- 2 cups black beans rinsed and drained
For the Tortilla Strips:
- 2 Adriana’s Corn Tortillas
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Garnish:
- ½ cup Red Barn Market Smoked Jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ jalapeno pepper sliced
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- Begin by roasting the vegetables. Set the oven to broil and move the oven rack near the top of the oven, making sure there is enough space to fit the vegetables underneath the broiler.
- Place the whole tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, yellow onion and red bell peppers onto the baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Use your hands to coat all sides of the vegetables with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes per side, until the vegetables are brown and blistered. Repeat this process until all sides of the vegetables are blistered and have softened slightly.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Place them into a blender with the skin still on. Add the chipotle peppers in adobo, cilantro and chicken broth to the blender. Blend on high until smooth. Set aside for now.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, followed by the sliced smoked chorizo sausage. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Next add the smoked paprika, cumin and oregano to the pot and mix to combine. Cook for 30 seconds and then add the blended vegetable mixture, corn, and beans. Mix everything to combine.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the soup for 20-30 minutes to allow the soup to thicken and all the flavours to come together. Taste the soup and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- While the soup is simmering, make the fried tortilla garnish. Heat ½ cup of vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Slice two tortillas in half to create 4 half-moon shapes. Stack the tortillas on top of each other and slice into strips that are 1-centimeter thick. Once the oil is hot, add the tortilla strips into the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes per side, or until the tortilla strips are golden brown and crisp. Make sure they are in a single layer to avoid them sticking together and work in batches if necessary. Remove the strips from the oil and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt and set aside.
- Scoop the soup into bowls and garnish with the fried tortillas, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeno and radish. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- You can remove the seeds from the jalapeno and chipotle peppers in adobo if you want a milder soup.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!