Chive Mashed Potatoes
Chives are a great addition to a traditional mashed potato recipe. The mild oniony flavour of the chives adds a subtle yet delicious flavour to the potatoes and it still tastes delicious covered in gravy!
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 pound russet potatoes
- 4 teaspoons salt
- Water to boil potatoes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/8 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup chives chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel all the potatoes. Chop the potatoes into large chunks and add them to a pot with water to prevent browning and oxidization. Once all the potatoes are peeled and chopped, dump out the water and then re-fill the pot with cool water until the potatoes are fully covered.
- Next, add the salt to the pot. Place the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Use a sharp knife to test the doneness of the potato by inserting it into the enter of a potato- it should easily slide right through the center of the potato.
- In the meantime, heat the butter and milk in separate pots on the stove until warmed through and set aside. Remove the pot from the heat and strain the potatoes using a colander. Return the potatoes to the pot on the stove over low heat. Add the butter and salt and pepper to taste and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. Once half of the potatoes are mashed, add the milk and continue to mash until smooth. If you don't have a potato masher, you can use a fork (I highly do not recommend putting them in the food processor since the potatoes will be really gummy).
- Once the potatoes are mashed and you are satisfied with the seasoning, fold in the chopped chives using a rubber spatula. Mix everything together until the chives are evenly distributed throughout the mashed potatoes.
- Add the potatoes to a serving bowl and top with a pat of butter and some extra chives for garnish. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!