Butternut Squash & Parmesan Gratin
Celebrate butternut squash this fall with this elegant recipe for Butternut Squash & Parmesan Gratin. This is a great recipe for weeknights and it is also fancy enough as a Thanksgiving dinner side dish!
- 1 butternut squash large
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs homemade or store-bought Panko
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons butter cubed
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves fresh
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the outer skin from the butternut squash. Once peeled, use a sharp knife to remove the top and bottom stems and cut the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out all of the seeds and discard.
- Place each half of the butternut squash flat side down and slice the squash into 1-centimeter thick slices. Set aside for now.
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add the oil and use your fingers to coat the entire bottom and sides of the dish.
- Arrange the butternut squash by laying them in the baking dish so that they overlap slightly. I find it is easiest to arrange the butternut squash slices that come from the main fleshy part of the squash and look whole, rather than those that come from the area where the seeds were and look hollow.
- Sprinkle the garlic evenly over the top of the butternut squash, followed by the cayenne pepper, nutmeg, black pepper, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange the cubed butter on top of the cheese and breadcrumbs, trying to space it evenly across the baking dish.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the butternut squash is tender and cooked through.
- Garnish the top of the gratin with the fresh thyme leaves and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This recipe was adopted and modified from Betty Crocker's Parmesan-Butternut Squash Gratin: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/parmesan-butternut-squash-gratin/9df386af-a792-431f-8285-5baf1e9686ab