Easy Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
The fall season is the best time to enjoy fresh brussels sprouts. These Easy Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Bacon are smoky, savoury, and sweet. These are perfect to serve for any fall dinner or Thanksgiving!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts shredded
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Begin by preparing the brussels sprouts. Remove the dry ends and any tough outer leaves of the brussels sprouts. Slice each brussels sprout in half lengthwise, then slice finely into thin strips. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the bacon to a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until fully cooked. Once cooked, remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Once cooled, cut the bacon into 1 to 2-centimeter long slices.
- Leave the bacon fat in the pan and add the onions. Fry over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften.
- Next add the shaved brussels sprouts to the pan and fry, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften slightly.
- Add the water to the pan, cover, and steam for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, the brussels sprouts should be tender and bright green. Add the apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place the brussels sprouts in a serving bowl and enjoy!