Rather than buying a pre-made hot chocolate mix, I encourage you to make it from scratch. There are no chemicals or preservatives, and you likely have all these ingredients in your pantry already! Cozy up with a nice cup of warm cocoa this winter and stay toasty and warm!
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I like to use 2%)
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
- Chocolate chips, for garnish (optional)
Place the milk in a small pot. Gently heat the milk over medium heat on the stove. Use a whisk to stir the milk every 40 seconds or so to ensure that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pot. Do not let the milk boil.
Once warmed through, add the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt. Whisk everything together to combine.
Carefully pour the hot chocolate into mugs and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate chips if you desire.