Happy Mother’s Day! Do I ever have a recipe for all the moms out there today! It’s seasonal, sophisticated, beautiful, and tastes absolutely delicious! My recipe for Rhubarb French Toast is a great way to greet your mom, or any mom (fur-moms included) this Mother’s Day.
For this special holiday, I decided to make French Toast. What mom doesn’t love French toast?! It’s fluffy, warm, and sweet and makes you feel great inside. While my classic French Toast recipe is always a hit, I decided to add a few extra special ingredients for this occasion.
My Twist(s) on a Classic
First, I decided to top my French Toast with a delicious Rhubarb Sauce. Apart from the fact that my HUGE rhubarb plant needed a bit of a trim, I knew this would be perfect since rhubarb is tart and would offset the sweet maple syrup perfectly. Plus, I can’t get over that pink colour! All I had to do was chop it up, and stew it in a pot with water and a dash of sugar. From the cooking process, the rhubarb transforms from this stringy celery-like vegetable to a smooth, velvety sauce in about 15 minutes! While I used this sauce to top this French Toast, I also enjoy this on top of ice cream, Greek yogurt, or added to a pie filling with some fresh strawberries.
I also added a bit of Amaretto liqueur to my egg mixture to give the French Toast an extra layer of flavour. Amaretto is an Italian liqueur that has a wonderful almond flavour, which just so happens to go well with tart stewed rhubarb and the citrusy orange zest that I also add into my egg mixture.
The Best Use for Day-Old Bread
For the bread, I used a simple French loaf. It is best to use a day-old bread since it’s much drier and soaks up the egg mixture a lot better than a fresh loaf of bread would. If you want to get extra fancy, you could also use brioche bread, or maybe even a fruit and nut bread would be amazing! If your mom (or you) are gluten-free, substitute the French loaf with your favourite gluten-free bread (but don’t soak it in the egg mixture for too long or else it will fall apart)!
I hope that all the mom’s out there have a fabulous Mother’s Day! You do so much for everyone, so let us make you this delicious Rhubarb French Toast recipe today…..and whenever you want it!
Get the Recipe!
Rhubarb French Toast
For the Rhubarb Sauce:
- 4 cups rhubarb sliced 1-cm thick
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For the French Toast:
- 1 French loaf sliced 2 cm thick
- 1 cup 2% milk or use cream if you want to be extra fancy
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 oz. amaretto liqueur optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8-10 strawberries sliced
- Maple syrup
- Place the sliced rhubarb, sugar and water into a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once bubbling, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the rhubarb sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the rhubarb fully disintegrates. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Next, prepare your egg mixture. Beat the eggs, milk, orange zest, vanilla, salt and amaretto (if using) in a shallow baking dish. Make sure that there are no streaks of eggs–you want a very smooth mixture. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the butter and oil.
- Once the butter has melted, dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture. Soak it on one side for 5 seconds, flip it, and soak it in the egg mixture for another 5 seconds, then place it in the pan. Repeat the process for the remaining bread.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Once cooked, arrange on a plate and top with the rhubarb sauce, sliced strawberries and maple syrup. Serve immediately and enjoy!